Thursday, March 26, 2009

Biblicial Worldview

Most days when C takes his morning nap I grab some sort of breakfast and sit down to watch "The View". I enjoy the banter and get a little current events for my morning. This morning Barbara was talking about the existence of Satan as a real person or force and the stats about the number of Americans that hold a biblical world view. I was amazed.

I wanted to read more and this is just one of the articles I found. And this was one of the most interesting parts:

There are a several troubling patterns to take notice.

First, although most Americans consider themselves to be Christian and say they know the content of the Bible, less than one out of ten Americans demonstrate such knowledge through their actions.

Second, the generational pattern suggests that parents are not focused on guiding their children to have a biblical worldview. One of the challenges for parents, though, is that you cannot give what you do not have, and most parents do not possess such a perspective on life.

That raises a third challenge, which relates to the job that Christian churches, schools and parachurch ministries are doing in Christian education. Finally, even though a central element of being a Christian is to embrace basic biblical principles and incorporate them into one's worldview, there has been no change in the percentage of adults or even born again adults in the past 13 years regarding the possession of a biblical worldview.

While the numbers are saddening to me, its also a good reminder to examine my intentions, heart and example in all that I do. Especially now that I am raising part of that next generation....how am I letting my light shine?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I happened to see the View this morning too, I hardly ever watch it. My main problem with the stat they cited was that it was a double-barreled question, meaning one question asking 2 different things. Many people beleive in Satan but don't take every word in the bible as 100% literal, if you're one of those Christians then you would have to answer no to that question even if you believe that Satan exists,take the vast majority of the bible as literal or the truth, and believe in Jesus as your Lord and Savior.(Many mainline protestants, methodists, presbyterians, etc would fit in this category)It's simply a poorly constructed question.

With that said, I agree with the basic premise of your post. IMO it is always good when Christians try to be mindful of how they are representing Christ to the rest of the world.

Shannon Delcambre said...

quit being so smart and thinking for yourself ;)